Monday, January 21, 2008

Pregnancy Tip- Pregnancy tests

Which pregnancy tests are the best? I've been asked that question a lot. The very best tests that I know of are purchased at www.webwomb.com. I honestly got a + test with my third child 8 days after conception! I've never tested + less than 11 days past conception with my other 3 pregnancies. No other test that I had (Yes, I know that I'm obsessed, but I treat my life like a science experiment) showed up + until 10 days, and it was very light even then.

The science behind pregnancy tests is that there is a strip on them that binds with the hormone hcg. Your body starts releasing hcg as soon as the little baby implants into your uterus. In a healthy, progressing pregnancy, the hcg in your bloodstream will double every 48-72 hours. Most people will test positive (using a decent pregnancy test) by 12 dpo (days past ovulation). This hcg in your blood is measured in mIU/mL as a number such as 15, 20, 25. Your average grocery store pregnancy test has a sensitivity of around 25 mIU/mL. Have you ever seen the commercial for the First Response Early Results test where they claim that you can test 5 days earlier than other pregnancy tests? The First Response test has a sensitivity around 20 mIU/mL. The webwomb.com tests are 15 mIU/mL-- The most sensitive tests I know of.

So my best recommendation for pregnancy tests is webwomb.com. If you aren't prepared enough to wait for them to come in the mail, my second choice is the generic brand at Walmart (Equate). My third choice is the DollarTree pregnancy tests, and if you have the patience, you can't beat the price! The DollarTree tests are still pretty sensitive, but their lines are a little bit lighter, which makes it a little harder to believe.

There are the new digital tests, which actually work really well, but will cost you a lot of money. But I bet it's fun to have a little device actually test you that you're pregnant.

The rule with pregnancy tests is "A line, is a line, is a line." If there are two lines on your pregnancy test, you are pregnant! The stories of false positives are few and far between.

One of my favorite resources when I was initially searching for the best pregnancy test was this website: www.peeonastick.com. Check out this website, it makes me look a little less obsessed with pregnancy comparatively, this woman actually has bought thousands of tests and taken them over the years.

While we're talking about pregnancy tests, let me put in a plug for ovulation tests. I think these are ESSENTIAL in the conception process, and I'll do a more in depth post about this another time. But if you're wondering what ovulation tests are best, let me tell you my observation. Spend as little as possible on ovulation tests, they all work. I personally buy my ovulation tests in bulk at www.saveontests.com. I DO NOT recommend their pregnancy tests, but their ovulation tests are the cheapest, and they work great.

4 comments:

Eric and Rachel said...

Hi Erica,

I heard about your website from Tiffany Rudd and I'm LOVING it. I just have a quick question for you...when using OPK do you prefer the dip tests or the midstreams? It seems like midstreams might be more expensive, but I was wondering what your thoughts would be. Thanks for all your advice! It's very helpful.

Eric and Rachel said...

Sorry...you can email me back at rachelsbennett@gmail.com if you want...or just post it on the blog for all see :)

Erica said...

Dip tests and midstreams are the exact same, they just look different. You can actually take the strip out of the midstream and dip it if you like. It's all the same, so just buy whatever is cheapest.(generally dips are the cheapest)

Trisha said...

Well said! I especially agree with the part that "a line is a line, is a line!"
And no, you don't seem obsessed! Just well informed.